I am an avid reader of Real Simple (note to self – I should probably invest in a subscription soon and save myself lots of money!) In the most recent issue, there was an article by husband & wife comedians Samantha Bee and Jason Jones titled “10 Ways to Make Your Marriage Divorceproof.” Now I’m not going to babble about my thoughts on divorce but I will say this – the article was very entertaining. It’s also hosted on the Real Simple site so check it out above.
Samantha and Jasons tips include:
1. Realize that if you can agree on what constitutes a clean room, you can agree on anything.
2. If you’re irritated by your partner, imagine him as a small child. (they claim this will immediately make you look at your partner as an adorable and appealing individual)
3. No fisticuffs in public
4. Marry someone with a backbone who appreciates that you possess one of your own. (“Yes, honey I will see the Transformers sequel on one of our precious and rare date nights. But on our next excursion, I get to choose a period piece featuring people in bonnets who churn their own butter.”)
5. Procrastinate (my personal favorite)
6. Have sex with each other
7. Accept that everybody needs alone time (“sometimes you can be kind of annoying you know”)
8. If you have to fight, WALK and fight (I actually thought this was a great idea)
9. Let your spouse in on 90% of your day-to-day routine (keep the mystery alive)
10. When you buy gifts for each other, give them at least a full minute of thought (“gifts that require someone to perform a household task don’t count as gifts”)
I thought this article was great. It was humorous and actually had some great advice! I find relationship dynamics to be so intriguing – and this article fulfilled my “learn something new everyday” quotient. Can’t beat that!